Sunday, June 21, 2009

The 10 Commandments

The big beef that I have with the 10 commandments, other than their age, is that they're nearly all negative. The recurring theme is DON'T DO THAT! I guess it's a good way to live a life void of creating any of the big evil acts like murder. For me, knowing what NOT to do isn't enough. I need a yardstick of what to do, how to act and interact with the world. Since I'm a spiritual freelancer, I compiled a list of the rules, commandments if you will, that I live my life by. Am I always successful at this? No, I'm a human. For me, these rules provide guidance and inspiration.

The rules are in a somewhat random order, except for the first one. It's the most important and every other rule is a subset of it:

1. Love ruthlessly.

It's one thing to love, it's completely different to love ruthlessly! To love ruthlessly is to love with complete abandon, getting vulnerable and staying there. It's loving people on their terms while avoiding thought of what I want it to look like. It's putting my heart in the driver's seat and giving my brain the day off. When I love ruthlessly my life gets better, my decisions are from the heart and I'm more compassionate and caring toward everyone, including myself.

That's the first commandment, love ruthlessly. It's easy and it's hard, just like everything else. What does ruthless love look like to you?