Monday, June 22, 2009

Who's in the Driver's Seat?

My head has a way of really fucking things up sometimes. I call it the 'mind fuck.' Remember those old cars with carburetors? Some of them, when they got too hot, would get a vapor lock. It's when the gasoline would change to gaseous state in the fuel line. The car would quit until it cooled down. That's the way my brain can work if I'm not careful. I'll over think something until it locks up. I went into a mind fuck a few weeks ago during a piece of personal turmoil. Then I wondered, 'what does my heart say?' My heart had the clear answer for the next action. That's when I adopted my second rule:

2. Listen to your heart, then do what it says.

When I operate from a heart space there's no deliberation, only one clear answer. That one answer is always compassionate, loving and the right answer for the situation. It's important to remember that this rule has two parts. Knowing what my heart says isn't enough, I must take action. Without action, it's just masturbation, just for myself.

Give this rule a try the next time a decision looms ahead. Give your brain a vacation. Listen to your heart, do what it says.

No comments: